When selling your products online, there is no denying that the process of actually listing these products can be both time-consuming and costly, no more so than when you are selling across multiple different channels. We say can be because the fact is it doesn’t need to be.
The bottom line is, manually listing your products comes at a cost to your company, especially if you want to continue to grow your online business.
The good news is that an inventory management system can remedy many of your challenges.
Ask yourself the following:
- Are you sitting on products that you just don’t have time to list? Or perhaps you are already listing them on one channel, say eBay, but just don’t have the time to think about listing them on your Amazon account as well?
- Would you like to sell new products but don’t have the time?
- Do you have aspirations of expanding your business onto new marketplaces and in new markets, but your day-to-day tasks are limiting the amount of time you have to spend growing your business?
- Have you ever oversold an item because you have listed it on more than one selling channel and either forgot to adjust the stock levels or just didn’t get round to doing it in time?
- Did this impact your rating and could it have had even more severe consequences – for example the marketplace stopping you from selling altogether?
In reality, these are only a few of the problems that can and do arise when managing your listings and inventory manually across different channels.
The underlying problem is lack of time, and with lack of time comes lack of efficiency and accuracy. Ultimately, this results in a lack of growth, success and profits.
So, what’s the alternative?
In short, to significantly reduce the occurrence of the above issues, you will need to synchronise your entire inventory across your different selling channels, through the use of a multi-channel inventory management system.
By uploading your inventory to one centralised system, you can quickly and easily list your SKUs to your integrated marketplaces and selling channels with the simple click of a button.
This ultimately eliminates the need to manually list your inventory to each channel, and will automatically adjust your stock levels across each channel, every time you make a sale.
The benefits of using an eCommerce listing tool
While listing creation is often the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about inventory and product listings, there are additional tasks that an inventory management system with powerful listing functionality can support.
- The ability to revise listings in seconds
- Bulk uploading inventory
- Creating configurators with pre-defined details, i.e. shipping information, template and returns policy, for quick and easy listing creation
- Easily uploading inventory onto multiple different channels
- Being able to prepare and import data files once, with the ability to use this information across all of your selling channels
- Ending or setting listings as out of stock when there is no stock available
- Automatically relisting when stock becomes available
See also: Why You Need A Bulk Listing Tool
Do keep in mind that when using an inventory management system, the listing process may differ slightly depending on the channel.
Overall, an automated inventory and listing management solution can make a huge difference to the success of your business, helping free up a significant amount of time to focus on growth. Effective use of these tools can be the difference between a successful online business and a failed venture experiencing no growth.
Listing management is, however, only a small part of the overall online selling process, and a solution such as Linnworks can help you automate all of the day-to-day tasks involved with running an eCommerce business, from listing, right through to order processing, inventory control and fulfilment.